Thursday, November 10, 2011

No Anthro Zone Reviews! Fatigue Finery Cape and the Camellia Blouse

It's time to bust out a couple reviews.  Both items are currently on sale and available in most sizes.

No Anthro Zone Review: Fatigue Finery Cape by Madchen, Anthro Orig $298 Sale $80, Nov 2011


Not my favorite look for the Fatigue Finery Cape

I first tried Anthro's Fatigue Finery Cape in the Santa Monica Store.  I had mixed emotions.  I'm a total sucker for anything with Military inspired details. But the price was a heart stopper.

After it made second cut I ordered it from online. It was time to take a second look. 



SIZE: Since the cape is fitted only at the shoulders, the best way to determine the correct size is by the length of your shoulders. Mine are very narrow (16"), and even though I'm a 4/6 in Anthro, I took an XS.
FIT: When zipped, the hem at the bottom of the placket sticks out oddly. Ironing helped the overall appearance, but didn't do much for that issue.
FABRIC: Soft flexible knit that feels like Cotton instead of a synthetic blend.  The knit is surrounded by heavy, structured wool.  Dry Clean Only.
The second time around I'm not convinced this cape is for me.

My change of heart has nothing to do with the arm slits to the front that most reviewers found awkward.


In fact, I found the location of the slits to be handy for using a cell phone.  Unfortunately, those same handy slits, make a great wind tunnel to funnel in a cold breeze.

This is a Test.  This is only a Test. 

I didn't have a problem reaching up to flip my hair.  Right!  Not something I commonly do.  But I wanted to see how distorted the cape would look by such an action.  How ugly is this cape?

I could easily open a door...rummage through my bag...and hail a taxi if there were such a thing in Bakersfield.
Honestly,  I would never expect a cape to masquerade as the perfect day-to-day Winter coat.  
Was Anthro trying to tell me something with this outfit?  Which I happen to love.  The shape and length of the cape is far more suitable with pants. Something I rarely wear.



Short skirts like the one I'm wearing, don't show enough hemline. I feel like a giant bell with legs for the clapper. Worse, full skirts or dresses would leave the wearer completely shapeless. 
Elbow length gloves are suitably cute, but won't keep the draft out.

The snap front pockets are much too shallow to be of any use.

The collar unsnaps so it can be worn turned up.

The quality and construction are exceptional! 

It isn't easy being Green! Especially for this cape! 

I don't need another novelty item that can only be worn on a special occasion. I haven't exactly pin pointed what that special occasion would be.

This certainly isn't an everyday cape for cold weather either. 
XS is sold out online. So I'm in no hurry to return this one yet.

No Anthro Zone Review: Camellia Blouse - by Gryphon - Anthro Orig $168 Sale $90 - Nov 2011



I planned to layer this Blouse under sweaters, but it works just as well on it's own. It's a nicely constructed Polyester blouse, with Cotton embroidery.

Wait just a second.  Did I just preface Polyester with the word nicely?  I can't stand Polyester. 

I've come to accept that for some things, Polyester works.  Case in point.  Cotton would never drape for a shapeless design like this.  Silk would shred considering how this blouse is pieced together in strips. 

Personally, I celebrate the tag that reads...Machine Wash.  WooHoo!
I rarely find a lacy, romantic, unstructured blouse that is flattering on busty me.  The fact that this blouse is completely untailored, but works, is enough to make it a keeper for me. 





 I can easily slip this over my head with the top button open in back..
SIZE:  I was concerned my normal Small might pull across the chest. I sized up to a Medium.


I'm 5'5" tall, 130 lbs, 35-28-36. 34D. Short arms. Narrow shoulders.



FIT: Comfortable. Medium was the right choice since the fabric is non-stretch. Hemline just clears my hips with no bunching. No pulling through the chest or shoulders. The sleeve ends just clear my elbows.
FABRIC: I layered a simple Ivory Tank. The blouse is light weight and very sheer. As I mentioned it's MACHINE WASH.  You won't have to slave with an iron..
Recommended! If you have an hourglass shape or are top or bottom heavy, size up. If you have a straight figure, go with your normal size.

Camellia Blouse - by Gryphon - Anthro Orig $168 Sale $90 - Nov 2011
Reversible Tank in Cream Scoop Side - by Eloise - Anthro $24 - Jan 2009
Vintage Ridge Skirt - by Athleta - Orig $59 Sale $25 - Feb 2011
If Color Could Talk Necklace in Yellow - Anthro Orig $48 Sale $10 - May 2011
Opaque Tights in Brown - by Hue - Anthro 2010
Asterisk Booties (aka Yandal) by Chie Mihara - Anthro Orig $388 Sale $200 - Oct 2011
This is Monday's outfit worn with Anthro's Pansy Trench instead of the Fatigue Finery Cape.

And...
Anthro's Asterisk Booties (aka Yandal) - by Chie Mihara - Anthro Orig $398 Sale $200 - Nov 2011
Chie Mihara's Yandal Booties. I was in need of some Fall color to brighten my day.

Nefi is having surgery today. Sniff!  She has been through so much in her short life.  I hate the idea of putting her through more, but I know it's necessary for her to live a healthy life.

Any suggestions for stying the Fatigue Finery Cape?  I plan to try the cape with pants in the near future.

Hope you are all having a great week!

Anthro Sister Bunny Love, Laura (lauramartinsemail@yahoo.com)