Friday, July 30, 2010

How to ANTHRO-UP in a NO ANTHRO ZONE!

Dear Readers,


I am over-joyed at your respose. You are paying attention and providing commentary. I want each of you to know how excited and worried this makes me. I wonder how I will hold your interest with future posts. Then I wonder how I will find time to get everything done. Thank you to those of you that took the time out of your busy day to make a quick stop at ACC to see what I am up to during my first week.

A little over one year ago, my company moved our offices out of the Oil Patch and onto "The Good Ole Streets of Bakersfield." I have made this small community home for 35 years. Also home to Buck Owens (rip) & the Buckaroos, and The Bakersfield Sound.





Here the Summers are hot and dry. Situated nearby is the earthquake riddled San Andreas Fault. Where The Killer Kern River runs and the Mighty Sierra Nevada's surround. Right smack in the middle of the Great Central Valley of CA. So close, yet a million miles away from the cultural noise of Los Angeles to the South and San Francisco to the North.

This small town thrives on Agriculture and Oil. For many years this was my commute and part of my daily scenery.



You won't see couture here. And you won't find an Anthropologie within a 2 hour drive.

Here Casual Friday is everyday of the week. Where shorts and flip-flops are most often worn for lunch at The Elephant Bar. Clean boots and a new pair of jeans is a night out at Buck Owens Crystal Palace.

Our new offices overlook the beautiful and scenic RiverWalk Parkway. This Dome studded building is featured on the AM news every single day.



So how does this OCD riddled, web shopping, thoroughly Anthropologie addicted working gal, ANTHRO-UP in a culture of Denim and Boots in the middle of high Summer?

Start with a great pair of boot cut or wide leg jeans. You won't find the words skinny, cigarette or straight leg here. I adore this bright blue pair of Wide Leg Trousers by Pilcro from Anthro Mar 2010.




Add a colorful embellished tee. One with character from all angles. Something from the not so average. Like The Glinting Hollyhock Tee by C. Keer from Anthro Feb 2010.




Layer over a menswear blazer with bright feminine lining to ward of the cold AC. An excellent choice would be much like Anthro's Professoresa Jacket by Ett Twa Mar 2010.



My favoite element of this jacket is the hyroglyphic/cave painting style animal print lining. I find myself turning this jacket so I can see the surprisingly colorful troupe inside.



Include an essential pair of low heeled sandal booties and a classic everyday handbag in dark brown. Something like Orla Kiely's Leaf Tote from her AW09 Collection & Anthro's Stunt Double Booties by Pikolinos from May 2010.




Style in something you don't often see in Bako or The Dale (Oildale). An attention getting scarf, or a crisp straw hat. The Catch and Release Scarf in Sky from Anthro June 2010, and one of my favorite hats from Couture Creations wonderful Milliner. The Kaitlyn Straw Cloche in Teal 2010. But not both at the same time. We would find that to be too outrageous.







For the finale, have fun scouting Etsy's multitude of global shops featuring handmade and unusual jewelry. As a Geo by trade, I can't help but prefer real stone.






This is one gals solution to Casual Everyday in her No Anthro Zone.





Hope you all like today's Casual Friday Outfit Presentation. Please feel free to comment.


What pieces do you like?

Any suggestions to make-over this outfit?

Any suggestions for an alternate attention getting piece instead of scarf or hat?

Do you yourself use attention grabbers: every day, sometimes, never?

If so, what type are your personal favorites?

I am always open to new suggestions & love to hear fom other Anthro Addicts.

Any suggestions or other comments, please email to Laura (GeoInCalifornia) at lauramartinsemail@yahoo.com


Love, Laura (one of many ANTHRO crazed lunatics)


PS: Personally, I'm not a fan of country music. I'm strickly a Rock & Roll kind of gal.

8 comments:

Bronzi said...

Cute. Found your blog yesterday. Nice to see a blogger in my same age group that LOVES Anthro....

Laura said...

Bronzi,

Thank you for your interest in ACC. This is my first week. I would love to hear your take on what you like about Anthro.

What is your style?
Do you like lots of reviews?
Are you most interested in outfits? Styling?
Anthro related info?
Do you shop online? In stores? Or both?
I would particularly be interested in you since we are in the same age group.

I will be guest posting on Effortless Anthropologie. My topic of choice is still open.

What topics are you most interested in?

Thanks again, and I hope to see you back.

Laura (lauramartinsemail@yahoo.com)

Dea said...

Hi Laura,
Just wanted to thank you for the lengthy msg on how to take a stab at the stain on the dress! I really appreciate and will definitely try out what you suggested. Just found your blog and didn't know you had one but recognized you from Kim's reader outfits. You're so cute all Anthroed out at work!

Laura said...

Dea, You are welcome. Sorry message so long. Just started ACC one week ago. Look for guest post on EA soon.

Bronzi said...

My style is basically classic tailored clothing with a mix of flowy. I like interesting details and also simple easy to pull together items. Case in point, Southern Chorus Dress (bought it for a wedding with b-day discount). Pricey, but the details, fabric and fit were great. I like that. On the simpler side the Circle the Globe Skirt is an easy basic.I personally enjoy the review AND the stylings, as they give me suggestions on pairings I may not have thought about and also, like to here and see what others think about some items I may or may not have given a second thought about.

I shop both in store and online (scary is that they know me in all 3 stores LOL). I am lucky to be relatively close to 3 stores, whose mix of clothing is very different due to economics. Two are in very affluent areas and one more blue collar, which is typical of the NY/NJ Metro Area.

I like a bargain as much as anyone, but I am also willing to spend full price based on the quality, uniqueness and now that item fits my style.

I'd be interested in reviews, stylings, mixing old and new and not just clothing, but other Anthro items. I guess Anthro related info would be great to learn more about some of the collaborations, designers, etc.

Glad to have found your blog. I as, DEA did, found it from another blog. Looking forward to checking in.

Bronzi said...

One last thing, I know I am being long winded, but you did ask :-D
I also don't like to see myself coming and going and with some of the other retailers out there, there is not alot of individuality; I think Anthro allows people to be able to showcase their individuality effortlessly. I like to look well put together, but not like I spent alot of time pulling my outfit together. Nicely dressed, with interesting pieces and comfortable is what I am aiming for.

Ok, I am done!

alltumbledown said...

What great suggestions at anthro-ing up! Since the majority (ok, all) of their clothing is out of my price range, I like the use of accessories to style the looks similarly.
alltumbledown:a modest attempt at style

Laura said...

Dear Alltumbledown, Welcome to ACC.

Anthro is pricey! It helps to catch those sale days as early in the morning as possible. Should be one this Teusday. Also watch for Price Adjusts (PA's) and Sale Cuts the day after. You can pick up some great deals from both online and in stores if you are lucky enough to have one in your area.

I'm not so lucky!

Very happy to know that you like what you see. Please feel free to suggest away. Tomorrow's post involves re-styling a favorite piece to turn around your Monday Morning Blues. Please watch for it.

Thank you for the positive comments at the end of week one, Laura

Post a Comment

For Comments Please Select "View Web Version" Below.